Thursday, April 10, 2014

Skinny Dress Pants: Fashion Do or Don't?

Pin It
Hello my beautiful professional readers! 

Recently, I had to attend an Entertainment and Sports Law Symposium that I helped organize. As I was searching my closet and trying out outfits, I realized that my black dress pants were too big and needed to be replaced. I thought, it's just black dress pants, I will be in and out of the store in no time! EH! Wrong! Apparently boot cut or slightly flared, good old professional slacks are a rarity. First I went to TJ Maxx and realized all the pants were skinny so I moved on to another one of my favorite stores, Marshalls, and it became clear that skinny pants are "in". Running low on time and funds (as usual), I decided to give them a try and ended up buying the ones pictured below. I am torn however, as to how appropriate and professional these pants really are. I am all for new, young, hip looks (that's what this blog is all about), but I also think it is important to keep things professional because I rather my employer recognize my work ethic and smarts than my fashion sense (or lack thereof if they are not a fan of the skinny pant).

In the end, I was comfortable with the outfit and I didn't feel out of place at all surrounded by well dressed attorneys. Overall, I would say go ahead and rock the skinny dress pants as long as you tone down your outfit. Make sure you are wearing close-toed shoes and a jacket (especially if you are working in a corporate office). I would also suggest shoes with a pointed toe, it creates an illusion (especially for shorties like me) that the leg is longer.

Outfit above: Shoes and Jacket (previously featured), Top: Marshalls $14.99, Pants: Marshalls $16.99
Pin It
Above is an example of how you can take the outfit from the office to happy hour or a dinner date by just having an extra pair of heels in your car.

So, what do you think of the skinny pant for work? Professional or better left at home during the work week?

Thanks for reading and remember, you can look like a million bucks without blowing your budget!

No comments:

Post a Comment